Akademik Shokalskiy was originally designed and built in Finland for polar and oceanographic research. The ship is small, nimble, and ice-strengthened, capable of reaching the nooks and crannies of Antarctica that many larger ships cannot. The vessel is equipped with Zodiacs. On select departure camping, kayaking, cross-country skiing and mountaineering adventure options are offered.
All prices are per person.
Learn more about the 2008 fuel surcharge.
- Spitsbergen Total Solar Eclipse >
- Spitsbergen Explorer >
- Antarctic Adventure: Actively Exploring the Peninsula >
- Spitsbergen, Eastern Greenland, Iceland >
- Crossing the Circle: Southern Expedition >
- Antarctic Quest via the Falklands (Malvinas) and South Georgia >
Cabins and Amenities
- 26 outside cabins, all featuring private or shared facilities.
- Two dining rooms with unreserved seating: buffet-style breakfast with table service; table-service lunch and dinner with main course choices, from a menu that changes daily; cakes served in mid-afternoon; coffee and tea available 24 hours from a self-serve station.
- Newly-renovated presentation room.
- Lounge and bar, open late afternoon and evening with a wide selection of wines and spirits.
- Library with a collection of polar-themed books.
- Ship-to-shore communications via satellite.
- Clinic with licensed doctor.
- Please note: there is no passenger elevator between decks.
|Staff & Crew:||30|
|Propulsion:||2 Diesel ME 3,076-horsepower engines|
|Cruising Speed:||10 knots in open water|
|Triple (shared facilities)||2 lower/1 upper berth, shared facilities, cabin, sink, opening porthole, desk/chair|
|Twin (shared facilities)||2 lower berths, shared facilities, cabin sink, opening portholes, desk/chair|
|Twin (private facilities)||2 lower berths or 1 upper and lower berth, private facilities, opening window, desk/chair, sofa in some cabins|
|Superior||1 double bed, 1 sofa bed, private facilities, 3 opening windows, table/chairs, TV/VCR/DVD|
|Amundsen Suite||1 double bed, 1 sofa bed, private facilities, 5 opening windows, table/chairs, TV/VCR/DVD|